Home education has been a successful model throughout history, but one that requires a lot of attention and dedication.
Some families, accustomed to a traditional school, handle education at home in the same way as the educational institution: they buy school books according to the degree that corresponds to their children, according to their age. They teach and train their kids in a systematic and planned way.
There are many reasons in favour of homeschooling. We will mention those that seem to us the most important and classify them by pedagogical, psychological, and historical reasons.
- To provide children with individual attention and personal monitoring.
- To provide them with education according to their characteristics, interests, and personal needs.
- For children to become free and responsible people, having the freedom of choice in their own learning.
- In order to be a good example for them and protect them from bad examples, they will find in school.
- To educate children with love and understanding, instead of giving them to people who teach them only for a living.
- To avoid the traumas that occur when children are separated from their parents at an early age.
- To protect them from the abuse they may suffer at school.
- Because homeschooling was the normal and most successful educational model throughout history in the 19th century.
- Because in ancient cultures, the state education of children was the beginning of the breakdown of culture.
- Because many famous people from the past and present received the fundamentals of their education and their ingenuity at home.
Is it for me?
Home education is the best for your family, if:
- They have enough dedication to creating interesting activities for their children, find information about it and be innovative.
- They are willing to become an apprentice again and explore and grow with their children. They are willing to be flexible and hire an English tutor to teach their children the most common language in the world.
- Value the well-being of their children more than “going with the flow.”
- They are sufficiently convinced of this path and the impeccable benefits that come with it.
On the other hand, the educational level of parents does not have much to do with their ability to educate their children. The research found that, surprisingly, even parents without full secondary education did a better job of educating their children at home than if they had sent their children to an educational institution. The educational level does not make a difference, but rather the dedication of parents and their love for their children.
Such an atmosphere should meet the following criteria.
- a) Students themselves manage their learning and their frequency. We are talking about all schoolchildren, not only high school students.
- b) There is no scale for evaluating students, putting them higher or lower than others. Instead, from the very beginning, children learn to consider only their own knowledge, including past and present as a measure of success.
- c) Students have the opportunity to acquire knowledge at a pace convenient for them and according to the most acceptable program (and if circumstances so require, the program should be individual).
It is much more consistent with real-life than standard schools. In the end, the world outside the school walls requires a variety of people with their unique talents.
Freedom and Diversity
You no longer need to buy a school uniform, drop them off at a fixed timing of the class, and so forth. This is a major saving. Add the fact that there is no need to buy imposed textbooks and workbooks. This is the kind of freedom you enjoy when it comes to homeschooling.
Vacations can be arranged at any time. You yourself plan your schedule! The child learns from life. Tests are no longer needed! In-home education, the world is no longer limited to stuffy rooms. You can learn from everything that surrounds you including people, nature, your feelings, friends, books and games.
Convenience with efficiency
There is no need to eat in the school cafeteria and sit at an uncomfortable desk. The child learns to build his day and manage his time. The basics of time management will definitely come in handy in life. You can choose your pace of learning. Pass a year in three months or stretch fifth grade for two years. Go to first grade at nine years old or pass exams for the entire high school at 15. Now it is up to you, not the educational system but ensure to adhere to the basic of education.
Home education is a form of education that involves the study of a general education program outside of school. At the same time, homeschooled children still have the right to undergo intermediate certification at the educational institution, as well as state final certification. Upon successfully passing the exams, the student receives a certificate of the school where he passed them.